Tasks in our daily lives typically consist of intricate skills that we are unaware. These skills can be broken down into specific processes that can be trained. For instance, singing requires us to activate certain part of our diaphragm or throat and some people are naturally aware of these and are able to sing well. Likewise in academia learning, there are skills and habits that are required by one, in order to learn effectively.
Yes, academia learning is a skill.
In Knowledge Bank, we observe and train your child according to their learning needs, so as to remove the bottleneck that limits their learning. We strategize for a better future. If you are not good at singing, it will not be easy for you to just observe good singers and become good at singing. You need training for that. Similarly, if you are not doing well in learning, you need training.
Training could involve helping the students become aware and realise their issues, and actively correct these deep rooted behaviours that hamper their learning habits. There are trainings integrated into our curriculum and here are some useful examples:
The students are to stand up whenever they exceed the allocated time during time trials. This physical action will translate to a higher awareness and concentration while doing the papers.
- Breathing techniques to calm yourself down during exams
- Positive self talk and motivation
Let the students do monotonous tasks and constantly remind them to get back their focus whenever they wander off. Help them to be more aware of what focus is and how to bring their minds back whenever they lose focus. Focus is a skill that can be trained.
Helping them to realise - What does study mean?
- Practice and practice
- Different kinds of exercises
- Study plans and strategies
- Doing consistent work
- Time management and allocation
When the students do not know - what they do not know
The students may lack practice, as well as proper supervision and guidance. They keep feeling that they should have a better way to study and keep asking questions instead of doing actual work. You can never know everything. There are always unique questions that require one to memorise certain unique concepts and keywords.
Confidence in learning
- Help the students to understand what is a growth mindset
- Marshmallow test
Mentality towards carelessness
More often than not, carelessness is used to justify one’s inability to arrive at the correct answers. There should be a more specific and rational attitude towards improving this mentality.
- Precision issue: careless mistakes should be less than 5%.
- The students may not really know how to do the questions but hastily justify their mistakes as carelessness.
- Questions are difficult, leading to more mistakes.
- The students are unable to recall formulas but choose to undermine this pressing issue and continue to neglect memory work.